Position Overview:The Senior Engineer II, Packaging Innovator is responsible for conducting research and establishing the feasibility of breakthrough packaging technologies to the existing and emerging beverage portfolio. The role will include assessing new technologies, proposing routes to new package formats, leveraging external technology from other markets, guiding current and new suppliers, and implementing new concepts in a scalable fashion. Additionally, the candidate will work closely with Marketing to create highly differentiated concepts and technology platforms by linking consumer insights to new ideas, business models and emerging packaging solutions; with the Technology Center and external vendors to bring concepts through functional prototype stage to validated package; and with Engineering to enable implementation within a Business Unit. This position reports to the Director, Packaging Application Research, and will work with extended team members from Global Engineering organization.
Function Specific Activities:
Function Related Activities/Key Responsibilities
• Manage work with external vendors, suppliers, universities and design agencies to enable agile development and quick decision-making.
• Lead high-profile projects that involve cross-functional teams. Includes the ability to manage large budgets, broad scopes, multiple suppliers and/or team members from partner companies.
• Develop and apply technical knowledge and establish credibility with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
• Engineering Analysis: Apply analytical engineering tools including critical path problem solving, fault tree analysis and root cause failure analysis for the purpose of determining design feasibility and identifying sources of variation from designed performance specifications.
• Collaborate with stakeholders to ensure project progress and maximize value to the System.
• Leverage subject matter expertise across global packaging network and Global Engineering.
• Design, prototype & assess (e.g., through pilot plant testing and validation) packaging technologies and concepts to product and process specifications (e.g., functionality and operational feasibility), as well as develop value chain and economic feasibility analysis for candidate packaging solutions.
•Develop strategic packaging technology platforms and make recommendations to Company management (e.g., senior technical management) about emerging packaging trends & opportunities, technology capabilities or scientific breakthroughs to support the Company's strategic direction.
Education Requirements: M.S. Required, Ph.D. Preferred in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Polymers or Materials
Related Work Experience:
• The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of relevant experience in packaging R&D and packaging design, or commercialization in areas of packaging materials or processing.
• Experienced in facilitating & driving consumer needs based concepting and linking with existing or emerging technologies to develop winning business solutions.
• Expert knowledge of materials physics, structure and property relationships, including packaging application/forming processes.
• Track record of developing and commercializing significant new packaging technologies and/or materials to solve & drive business objectives.
• Beverage Packaging Manufacturing Processes: Knowledge of beverage packaging manufacturing process; includes understanding how changes will affect products - consumer experience and supply chain impact. Knowledge of material handling processes for moving materials/products throughout the manufacturing and distribution process.
• Pilot Plant: Knowledge of scaling up of technology from bench / concept levels. Familiar with vendors/suppliers available and their capabilities.
• Effectively communicates and influences non-technical senior managers.
• IP and Confidentiality: Experience managing confidentiality, handling agreements, and comfort with advanced patent searching techniques. The ideal candidate will have multiple patents/ applications for commercialized technology.
- Drive Innovation: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business (encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation)
- Collaborate with System and Stakeholders: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler)
- Act Like an Owner: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our System, our customers and key stakeholders
- Inspire Others: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible
- Develop Self and Others: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential
- Growth Mindset: Demonstrates Curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- Smart Risk: Makes bold decisions/recommendations
- Externally Focused: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices, or ideas.
- Performance Driven & Accountable: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- Fast/Agile: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- Empowered: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.
Define, Develop and Execute Technical Strategies for Package Research & Development: Define, develop, and execute consumer-centric End-to-End technical strategies to drive the categories and brands required to accelerate our transition to a total beverage company. Define, develop and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency and quality of R&T work.
Define, Develop and Execute Winning Solutions for Package Research & Development: Define, develop, and execute sustainable business and winning technical solutions by leveraging insights, technological opportunities, BU/ Bottler capability, business case creation/ validation, technological opportunities, risk assessment and management, leveraging the power of our System and its people. Design, develop, and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency, and quality of R&D work.
Design, Develop and Execute Technical Projects for Package Research & Development: Design, develop and execute technical projects (e.g. product prototypes, packaging feature, process element, stability test, consumer validation, single research experiment, chemical analysis, etc.). Design, develop and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency and quality of R&D work.
Technical Project Management for Package Research & Development: Establish priorities and lead processes for planning technical work and monitoring progress to achieve desired outcomes. Influence buy-in for strategic project plan from stakeholders and key contributors. Lead and maintain collaborative, proactive communication and ensure appropriate documentation with all involved parties to gauge and manage expectations.
Learning Agility for Package Research & Development: A person's speed to learn. Ability to rapidly study, analyze, and apply new technologies. Ability and willingness to learn from experience and external benchmarking.
Years of Experience:
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business(encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to approximately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our Brands, our System, our customers, and key stakeholders.
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.