Position Overview:Responsible for the design and development of new products and/or technologies and the improvement of existing products and/or technologies at a Coca-Cola citrus flavor manufacturing plant in Apopka, FL. Must simultaneously manage multiple projects across a variety of countries or brands that have an impact beyond their region; ensures that the company standards of quality are met; may be formally or informally responsible for leading a group of less experienced scientists. This role works hands on with the R&D global community to develop new flavors for The Company using existing and emerging technologies. Individual contributor who guides others in resolving complex issues in this specialized area based on existing solutions, experience and procedures; works independently with minimal supervision required. Manages Design, Development, and Commercialization Program within the ISO 9001 management system. Acts as Subject Matter Expert and Technical Expert on flavor and separation chemistry with expertise in essential oils (primarily citrus) to drive improvements and optimizations in our manufacturing processes.
Function Specific Activities:
Function Related Activities/Key Responsibilities:
- Design and develop new products from bench top to commercialization in manufacturing areas while staying within specified parameters of cost and ensuring compliance with label claims.
- Ability to operate equipment used in the manufacturing of flavors ranging from pilot plant level to commercial production. This role is hands on and is expected to operate equipment.
- Lead and perform design and process development activities to optimize manufacturing, establish feasibility and process conditions from lab to manufacturing, drive productivity options and solutions, and solve quality issues by applying the relationships of material properties, product or process design, equipment and processing conditions. Facilitate troubleshooting and optimization of existing processes.
- Evaluate materials and equipment to conduct lab and pilot plant trials, including setups and maintenance of lab processing equipment.
- Drive business growth by working in cross-functional teams to identify innovative and differentiated flavors and processes. Work with internal and external partners to secure and develop novel processes.
- Ensure the existing facility has the capacity and capability to produce the flavors being developed, identify any new equipment required for production, and work with the Food Safety team to mitigate any risks associated with new ingredients (i.e. allergens, micros, etc.)
- Plan, execute, and document experimental trials; validate through designed experiments to ensure products and processes can be successfully commercialized.
- Research, design experiments, develop new methods/processes, explore new technology to remove contaminants from natural raw materials.
Master's Degree required, PhD preferred, in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or related field
Related Work Experience:
- 10+ years in flavor design, development, and commercialization including working in a food manufacturing facility, preferably in with an ISO certificationed facility.
- Drive Innovation: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business
- Collaborate with System and Stakeholders: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the System
- Act Like an Owner: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our system, our customers and key stakeholders
- Inspire Others: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible
- Develop Self and Others: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential
- Growth Mindset: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity
- Smart Risk: Makes bold decisions/recommendations
- Externally Focused: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices, or ideas.
- Performance Driven and Accountable: Has high performance standards. Outperforms his/her peers.
- Fast/Agile: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- Empowered: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.
- Experience and understanding of in food safety/GMP requirements for food manufacturing and how to ensure that process design and ingredient/processing aid selections meet these requirements.
- Understanding of management system/ISO requirements and proven ability to drive continual improvement
- Extensive knowledge of flavors and citrus oils
- Expert knowledge and demonstrated experience in process scale-up and commercialization.
- Cross functional and project management skills, including self-managed multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast paced environment with minimum supervision.
- Solid interpersonal and problem solving abilities
Mechanical ability and expert knowledge/understanding
Years of Experience:10+ Years Experience
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business(encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to approximately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our Brands, our System, our customers, and key stakeholders.
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.