The Laboratory Shift Manager is a key member of the wider management team and plays a very important role in the development and implementation of Quality Assurance and Food Safety strategies for the site. The key priorities of the role involve leading and motivating a multi-skilled Laboratory team while ensuring that all QA Laboratory requriements are delivered for the Ballina plant.
- Maintain safety systems within the Laboratory.
- Lead and motivate a multi-skilled Laboratory team and ensure the efficient delivery of all Laboratory activities to schedule.
- Ensure that all ingredients, finished products and intermediate products are tested and released in accordance with procedures set forth in The Coca-Cola Company Requirements (KORE).
- Implementation of KORE to ensure compliance with the policies, procedures, and practices of The Coca-Cola Company
- Ensure compliance to ISO 17025 Laboratory Management Systems.
- Implementation and management of Laboratory GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) requirements.
- Management of the Laboratory Training requirements and Corrective Action Program.
- Embed operational excellence and a continuous improvement culture within the laboratory to deliver improvements through lean principles and systems.
- Ensure processes and equipment validation are carried out in accordance with company and regulatory requirements.
- Management of the Internal/ external audit program, liaising with corporate and external registrars/governmental agencies
- Development of associate competencies/skills ensuring the highest levels of engagement and team capability.
- Develop and implement Performance Development plans for associates.
- Provide support to plant wide improvement activities and lean initiatives.
- Participate in local, regional and global distributed work teams as required.
- Management of the Laboratory consumable and Equipment VMI.
- Ballina Leadership Team and Wider Management Team - daily contact in management of Laboratory operations
- Global distributed work teams - make recommendations, decisions and provide guidance on Laboratory operations
- Supply Management Team - requests for advice, information and technical data
- Suppliers - Follow up on vendor defects, supplier audits and development, and provide technical support
- Regulatory and government agencies - provide updates on quality strategies, requests for information and technical data
- Ingredient and Product testing and release - material non-conformance, instrument problems, method issues and specification issues.
- SAP functional problems and improvements.
- Laboratory efficiencies improvements.
- Statistical process controls and process improvements.
- Handling of non-conforming materials.
- Cost controls of laboratory budget.
- Vendor relationships - non-conforming materials, supplier assessments, strategies and improvements
- Authority to reject ingredients and products.
- Authority to execute corrective actions.
- Provides input on laboratory business plan.
- Performance management, development of team and assigning work.
- Significant input on hiring of team members
- Recommend cost savings and proactively negotiate with vendors and suppliers.
- Review testing regimes to ensure only value-add testing is performed
- Drive developments in testing methods and techniques
- Manage a team of Laboratory Associates
- Involved in recruitment, performance enablement, coaching, individual development and team leadership for Laboratory Associates in Ballina
- A Degree in either Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry or a related Life Science discipline
- Minimum 5 years Laboratory or QA industrial experience
- Familiarity with ISO/IEC 17025 : 2017 requirements
- Supervisory experience an advantage
- Qualification in Continuous Improvement is desireable
- Proven ability to work with SAP enterprise system
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Analytical decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting demands and to prioritise accordingly
- Flexible and able to travel at short notice
- Experience in testing and release of ingredients and final products
Proven ability to operate on a global stage interacting with culturally diverse colleagues
Fluent written and spoken English and strong communication skills required
5-10%, regional (Europe, Eurasia & Africa) and global travel
Years of Experience:
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business(encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to approximately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our Brands, our System, our customers, and key stakeholders.
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.