Position Overview:The Laboratory Manager leads the planning, coordination and management of all activities in the Ballina Beverages Laboratory. This position is responsible for ensuring the effective implementation of KORE and ISO17025 compliance with policies, procedures and practices of The Coca-Cola Company and regulatory bodies. The Laboratory Manager will report to the Quality Assurance Manager.
Function Specific Activities:
- Prioritize Safety of Laboratory employees through continuous review of work practices and ensure that an effective safety team is in place.
- Ensure the effective implementation of KORE to ensure compliance with the policies, procedures and practices of The Coca-Cola Company and regulatory bodies in the Ballina Laboratory.
- Ensure that all ingredients, finished products and intermediate products are tested and released in accordance with procedures set forth in The Coca-Cola Company Requirements (KORE).
- Participate in selection of laboratory equipment with a view to optimize output by incorporation of state of the art. laboratory instruments enabling fast response time of tests, automation and online data acquisition.
- Manage Laboratory Shift Managers and direct reports with an overall responsibility for about 40 Team Members.
- Ensure compliance to ISO 17025 Laboratory Management Systems.
- Implementation and management of Laboratory GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) requirements.
- Embed operational excellence and a continuous improvement culture to deliver improvements through lean principles and systems.
- Provide technical support to Business Unit and Bottlers if quality concerns with concentrate.
- Support and technically advise Procurement on ingredient strategy.
- Actively participate, with significant influence, in the selection and training of the Laboratory Team.
- Support and lead both regional and global laboratories projects as required.
CORE COMPETENCIES - THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF CORE COMPETENCIES NEEDED FOR THE JOB
- Drives Innovation.
- Collaborate with System, Customers, and Key Stakeholders.
- Act like an Owner.
- Inspire Others.
- Develops and Inspires Others.
TECHNICAL SKILLS - THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF THE TECHNICAL SKILLS NEEDED FOR THE JOB
- Team leadership, capability development and performance management.
- Ability to set strategy and execute business plans.
- Demonstrated experience in people management in a team environment.
- Influencing and Stakeholder engagement skills.
- Lead others through change.
- Presentation and communication skills and ability to influence in the decision making process.
- Ballina Leadership Teams and Wider Management Teams - daily contact in management of Laboratory operations.
- CPS QSE Managers - make recommendations, decisions and provide guidance on Laboratory strategies and projects.
- Supply Management Team - requests for advice, information and technical data.
- QSE and Lab Managers from other CPS plants
- Business Unit QA and Technical Managers - support problem solving, quality strategies, requests for advice, information and technical data
- Suppliers - Follow up on vendor defects, supplier audits and development, and provide technical support
- CPS Leadership Team (Atlanta) - Provide reports, attend meetings, lead projects and present QSE updates
- Regulatory and government agencies - provide updates on quality strategies, requests for information and technical data
- Analysis of ingredients and final products in support of 17M SU.
- Ingredient and Product analysis-material non-conformance, instrument problems, method and specification issues.
- Statistical process controls and process improvements analysis.
- Handling of non-conforming materials and cost controls of laboratory budget.
- Vendor relationships - non-conforming materials, supplier assessments, strategies and improvements.
- Authority to reject ingredients and products. Authority to stop production due to quality issues.
- De-authorize an existing or not authorize a new ingredient supplier.
- Develop laboratory business plan which is part of the Annual Business Plan.
- Input into hiring, performance management and development of laboratory teams
- Develop new and innovative ingredient and product release strategies and lead strategic laboratory projects.
- Recommend cost savings and proactively negotiate with vendors and suppliers.
- Drive developments in testing methods and techniques.
- Manage Laboratory Shift Managers, direct reports and indirectly manage (1 level down) laboratory Associates.
- Involved in recruitment/termination, performance management, coaching, individual development and team leadership for all Laboratory Associates.
- Degree, MSc or PhD in Science (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, Pharmacology or Microbiology).
- Minimum 7 years' experience in food or pharmaceutical industries, with at least 5 years of managerial experience.
- Detailed understanding of laboratory technical processes, analytical decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in leading global projects is a distinct advantage.
- Operate directly with sites and contacts located across the globe.
- Fluent written and spoken English and strong communication skills required.
- 10% - 20%, regional (Europe, Eurasia & Africa) and global travel
Years of Experience:5-7 Years Experience
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business(encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to approximately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our Brands, our System, our customers, and key stakeholders.
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.