Position Overview:The Senior Engineer II, Mechanical is responsible for conducting research and establishing the feasibility of breakthrough equipment technologies for the existing and emerging beverage portfolio. The role will include assessing new technologies, proposing routes to new cooling mechanisms, leveraging external technology from other markets, guiding current and new suppliers, and implementing new concepts in a scalable fashion. Additionally, the candidate will work closely with external vendors to bring concepts through functional prototype stage to validated equipment. This position reports to the Senior Director, Global Engineering and will work with extended team members from Global Engineering organization.
Function Specific Activities:
Function Related Activities/Key Responsibilities
- Lead detailed research & design work with internal teams, external vendors, suppliers, universities and design agencies
- Provide relevant and timely technology assessments for Leadership on existing and new equipment related technologies
- Lead or participate on cross-functional global priority projects to analyze, de-risk and/ or introduce new technologies
- Apply subject matter expertise in equipment technologies such as venders, coolers and dispensers
- Apply scientific and engineering principles to further fundamental understanding of cooling technologies and apply to experimental design to develop corresponding data
- Develop and apply technical knowledge and establish credibility with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
- Engineering Analysis: Apply analytical engineering tools including critical path problem solving, fault tree analysis and root cause failure analysis for the purpose of determining design feasibility and identifying sources of variation from designed performance specifications.
- Develop strategic equipment platforms and make recommendations to Company management (e.g., senior technical management) about emerging trends & opportunities, technology capabilities or scientific breakthroughs to support the Company's strategic direction.
- B.S. Required
- Mechanical Engineering
- Masters degree preferred
Related Work Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of relevant experience in R&D and/or consumer product design, in areas of equipment or engineering.
- The ideal candidate will be a hand's on engineer, experienced in solving complex problems, designing/building prototypes and conducting experiments.
- Experience with leading projects that span outside the mechanical engineering discipline and some well rounded knowledge across multiple engineering disciplines.
- Experienced in facilitating & driving consumer needs based concepting and linking with existing or emerging technologies to develop winning business solutions.
- Knowledge of existing beverage equipment technologies such as vending machines, commercial refrigerators and beverage dispensers.
- Exceptionally strong track record of developing and commercializing significant new technologies to solve & drive business objectives.
- Experimental design & analysis: Use of design of experiments, iterative methods, statistical & data analysis.
- Effectively communicates and influences non-technical senior managers.
- IP and Confidentiality: Experience managing confidentiality, handling agreements, and comfort with advanced patent searching techniques.
Define, Develop and Execute Technical Strategies for Equipment Research & Development:
- Define, develop, and execute consumer-centric End-to-End technical strategies to drive the categories and brands required to accelerate our transition to a total beverage company.
- Define, develop and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency and quality of R&D work.
Define, Develop and Execute Winning Solutions for Equipment Research & Development:
- Define, develop, and execute sustainable business and winning technical solutions by leveraging insights, technological opportunitieis, BU/ Bottler capability, business case creation/ validation, technological opportunities, risk assessment and management, leveraging the power of our System and its people.
- Design, develop, and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency, and quality of R&D work.
Design, Develop and Execute Technical Projects for Equipment Research & Development:
- Design, develop and execute technical projects.
- Design, develop and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency and quality of R&D work.
Technical Project Management for Equipment Research & Development:
- Establish priorities and lead processes for planning technical work and monitoring progress to achieve desired outcomes.
- Influence buy-in for strategic project plan from stakeholders and key contributors.
- Lead and maintain collaborative, proactive communication and ensure appropriate documentation with all involved parties to gauge and manage expectations.
Learning Agility for Equipment Research & Development:
- A person's speed to learn. Ability to rapidly study, analyze, and apply new technologies.
- Ability and willingness to learn from experience and external benchmarking.
Years of Experience:10+ Years Experience
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business(encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to approximately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our Brands, our System, our customers, and key stakeholders.
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.