Position Overview:The ideal candidate is a product development scientist with demonstrated skills in developing and/or reformulating food and beverage products from ideation through commercialization. A variety of scientific backgrounds are acceptable including but not limited to Food Science, Food Technology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Agricultural Sciences, and Biology. The primary job responsibility is the executing the product development projects for Renewing Category Growth. The candidate must have a solid technical background with creative bench skills, understand consumer research, and be able to work collaboratively across functions (technical and non-technical). Project activities are related to product development innovation, brand maintenance and evaluation of new technologies, all requiring a high level of attention to detail. Key internal interactions will be with Ingredient Quality, Commercial Product Supply, Regulatory Affairs, Technical Consumer Research, R&D centers, and commercialization teams. Key external interactions are primarily collaborating with ingredient suppliers.
Function Specific Activities:
- Prepare beverages and conduct analytical tests and taste or odor tests according to sensory guidelines, including qualifying taste panelists.
- Design, produce and evaluate/assess (e.g., through laboratory testing) a product prototype/sample against technical requirements, fit to concept or performance specifications (e.g., functionality and operational feasibility).
- Design, develop, conduct and/or review experiments (e.g., laboratory or process experiments) in order to deliver new products; evaluate ingredient, product or packaging safety, efficacy or claims; or evaluate new ingredients, materials, products or processes.
- Perform chemical analyses using instrumental methods in order to determine the composition of samples.
- Record data from analyses or experiments in a computer, log book or laboratory notebook.
- Prepare samples and sampling plan for ingredients, intermediate or finished products, or other materials in order to perform analyses (e.g., chemical, physical, sensory, microbiological).
- Maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation (e.g., troubleshooting, conducting preventative maintenance, calibrating and repairing).
- Write detailed & accurate reports for analyses, experiments or projects (e.g., equipment validation, evaluation of new processes). Communicate clearly in email and verbally with technical, non-technical, domestic, and international audiences.
- Gather and organize information under tight timelines to support senior management's decision-making.
- Participate in team projects, interdepartmental/divisional committees or company-wide initiatives in order to share information, represent the department/division perspective or assist with product development, process modification, package development and marketing.
The following is a listing of minimum indicated requirements for this job.
Education: BS Degree with 3 years of experience, MS Degree with 1 year of experience
Technical Skills - The following is a list of the top Technical Skills needed for the job.
- Basic Product Development: Knowledge of the product development process with a preference for prior beverage experience. Flexible and create development skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Basic Flavor Chemistry: Basic knowledge of the organic chemistry of essential oils and other flavor compounds that is relevant to Company products.
- Beverage Manufacturing: Knowledge of and ability to apply carbonated and non-carbonated beverage processing techniques (e.g., proportioning, carbonating, syrup manufacturing, filling).
- Ingredients: Knowledge of key ingredients used in production of concentrates and beverage bases (e.g., caramel, citric acid, benzoate, juice, phosphoric acid, maltodextrin).
- Moderate Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and capable user.
- Building Technical Relationships: Ability to apply technical knowledge and establish credibility with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
- Proprietary Composition Information: Ability to recognize and protect proprietary information as it relates to formulas and ingredients.
- Basic Project Management: Knowledge of project management principles and the ability to apply the principles, tools and techniques to develop/plan, manage or execute projects or work plans to ensure successful completion (e.g., on time, within budget.)
Years of Experience:3-5 Years Experience
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.