Position Overview:The Manager will be part of the management team reporting to the Plant Manager. Under limited supervision, the Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the site. The Manager provides leadership and directs strategy for operations efforts in support of plant's strategic and production plans. The Manager plans, directs, documents and coordinates the day-to-day operations of the department that includes salaried and the unionized employees. He/she is responsible for ensuring and improving the overall efficient performance, productivity and operational compliance of the plant.
Function Specific Activities:
- Prepare department budget along with short and long term operations strategy in line with site goals and objectives.
- Prepare departmental costs and variances with regards to productivity, short and long-range planning, labor scheduling, product scheduling, raw materials, packaging supplies, product weights, sanitation and housekeeping.
- Manage Supervisors who not only be accountable for production union staff but also may include union employees from other department in the shift.
- Organize and facilitate production line activities to ensure conformance to establish requirements regarding quality, safety, environment, food safety, employee- relations, productivity and cost scheduled volume outputs
- Responsible for supervision of salaried and also unionized hourly team when needed. Responsibilities include: the employing, the training, the supervising, the disciplining, and the discharging of the employees in the department as per company guidelines and policies.
- Reviews daily inventories and the daily production plan with the Material/Scheduling planner. Develops production and efficiency reports. Coordinates schedule demands with staff and product movement personnel.
- Responsible for the equipment and people performance including efficiencies, losses, waste and yields.
- Manages the product processing and packaging areas from receiving raw materials to finished product, including CIP systems and sanitation of areas
- Reviews plant quality through the review of microbiology test results, investigation and eradication of high or repeat area or product counts.
- Accountable for 3rd party audits/results as well as internal programs.
- Reviews product and equipment specifications to ensure conformance to product specifications are realized.
- Reviews all nonconforming product or ingredients with Quality Assurance Manager.
- Monitors department throughout shift and assure employee compliance with GMP's, sanitation, environment, safety and other requirements.
- Review CIP records daily and audit employee's sampling techniques to assure proper sanitation standards are maintained.
- Verify that all plant equipment is in good working condition and all preventative maintenance is being performed on a scheduled basis by reviewing Preventive Maintenance schedules with the Maintenance team.
- Review all work orders and daily maintenance reports with the Maintenance team.
- Manage workforce in line with operations needs and flex workforce accordingly.
- Review supply inventories and order supplies within budget allocations.
- Oversee scheduling of management, employees, and temporary labor.
- Lead product and package yield analysis and continually improve yield. Track, report, investigate and improve yield.
- Have the responsibility of reviewing timesheets, overtime and approve payroll.
- Be the safety and environment lead as required
- Ensure supervisory and hourly coverage needs are met as and when needed. Perform the duties of a supervisor when needed. Ensure cross training and skill pool to meet the needs of the business.
- Perform training needs analyses, as appropriate, and initiates, develops, and/or coordinate the implementation of specific training and development programs for staff and associates.
- Continually analyzes and reduces equipment downtime, usage losses and cost of production. Drive root cause corrective action for issues and continuous improvement in performance
- Understand the CBA and ensure conformance to it across all shifts.
- Investigate and address grievances and other union matters in a timely manner. Consult with management and Labor relations/HR as needed. Follow company policies and guidelines.
- Responsible to meet plant targets related to People, Quality, Environment, Service, Productivity, Cost, Savings, Projects etc.
- Work with Production, Planning, Maintenance, Warehouse, Customer Service, Transportation, Product Development, Suppliers, Engineering, Quality,
- HR/LR, Associates and other related departments/teams in finding innovative ways to improve Performance of the site, and ensuring plant and company goals are met.
- Lead and/or support capital and opex projects.
- Support Employee involvement in Safety, Analytical Problem Solving, Project Planning, Vendor and Customer Relations, fostering a Team atmosphere.
- Participate in the ISO auditing and assist in the development of procedures and corrective actions.
- Travel to other sites in the Coca Cola system as needed, within and outside Canada.
- Perform other duties as necessary and/or assigned.
Food Safety Responsibilities:
- Notify supervision of any repairs or adjustments that are required that may affect product quality or food safety.
- Perform all duties necessary to meet Company, Customer and/or Government requirements/standards as prioritized by the Company.
- Ability to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of nonconformities relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the product, processes, quality system, or safety system.
- Identify and record any problems relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the ingredients, processes, quality system, or safety system.
- Control further processing or delivery of nonconforming product in terms of Food Safety and Quality issues until the deficiency or unsatisfactory condition has been corrected.
- In the event of absence, another employee with the same skill level will assume the duties and responsibilities as required.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have the ability to trouble shoot problems and be persistent until a solution is found.
- Must work in a safe manner and follow all safety procedures including use of safety equipment.
- Must be willing to ask for assistance when the process is unclear.
- Ability to work all shifts including off shifts.
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a manufacturing environment is required.
- Minimum of 5-10 years' experience in Fluid Milk or Value-Added processing is required.
- Bachelor degree is required. Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Food Science or Dairy Science preferred, with proven knowledge of process flow and fluid mass balance.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is highly preferred.
- Experience in dairy industry highly preferred
- Leadership experience within complex manufacturing facilities is highly preferred
- Working knowledge of CFIA/PMO/OMAFRA/DFO/local and other regulations preferred
- Ability to implement fundamental Lean Principals including 5S.
- Ability to meet production schedules with shifting priorities.
- Understanding of basic CIP operations, functionality and chemistry.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced environment.
Coca-Cola Limited is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. We have a number of programs and policies in place to support this goal. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact our HR Shared Service team by calling 1-877-677-6774. Coca-Cola Limited will consult with all applicants with a disability who request accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure that the accommodation provided takes into account the applicants individual accessibility needs.
Years of Experience:
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.