Position Overview:Scientist II will be responsible for developing new products or reformulating existing products as described in the accepted work practices and approved documentation processes; will focus on water, water+, sports drinks development.
Function Specific Activities:
Interact with business unit related functions (technical, marketing, SRA, etc) to facilitate the product development (e.g., working with marketing people to determine the development direction, technical input /attend trial run for product commercialization, etc.)
Create formulation under the product development manager, including development of the beverage, syrup and flavoring system, making sure that the product has the right balance of tartness, sweetness, taste, color or any other organoleptic characteristic of the final product.
Use technical consumer research tool for project execution as needed (e.g., taste tests with sensory guidelines, modify prototypes according to consumer research result, propose innovation projects basing on customer needs, etc)
Dedicate in lab tests, record result and regular report to line manager.
Identify issues, improvement opportunities and recommend solutions
Efficiently input formulation in TCCC proprietary databases, such as PICASSO
Maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation (e.g., troubleshooting, conducting preventative maintenance, calibrating and repairing)
Initiate the stability and shelf life tests for all the formulations developed. Description of the manufacturing conditions required to produce beverages, syrups and flavour concentrates in commercial scale at bottling plants, concentrate plants or co-packers
Ensure priorities are handled effectively by modifying plans and actions in your own area of accountability.
- Consumer centric mindset and ability to design innovation ideas to meet local market needs.
- General knowledge of the composition, structure and properties of inorganic substances needed to understand inorganic ingredients (e.g., acidulants, oxygen, water, buffers) used in Company products and in research on stability of ingredients
- Basic knowledge of food and water microbiology used to make judgments about the safety of ingredients, beverages, manufacturing techniques, packaging and storage conditions.
- Knowledge of basic nutrition concepts and definitions involved in basic nutritional labeling
- General understanding of all aspects of physical chemistry that are relevant to Company products.
- Ability to measure instrument variations and apply corrections for ensuring the accuracy and precision of an instrument or measurement tool.
- Ability to recognize and protect proprietary information as it relates to formulas and ingredients
- Ability to handle multiple projects and ensure successful completion (e.g., on time, within budget).
- Knowledge of Company-specific rules for creating formulas and formula codes
- Efficient communication skills in Chinese- Mandarin and English (Verbal and Written)
- Food Science and / or Food Engineering is preferred
BS with at least 5-7 years related work experience
MS with at least 3-5 years related work experience
DS with at least 0-1 years related work experience
Years of Experience:
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.