Position Overview:• Responsible for implementing technology-based packaging development initiatives or adapting existing packaging formats, while assuring these initiatives are efficiently and effectively managed under line manager supervision. (within specified category, EMEA BU's)
• Provide support to Packaging Developers in their project & activities aimed at evaluating and developing new technologies before testing and deploying them across geographies.
Function Specific Activities:
- Developing design briefs and specifications for packaging systems and managing development from concept identification through to market launch, leveraging internal and external development resources.
- Developing and evaluation of new concept prototypes, pilot test/production and filling/manufacturing systems.
- Manage testing of concept prototypes and pilot production packaging solutions to ensure compliance with TCCC packaging quality standards.
- Where applicable, ensure that TCCC intellectual property rights are established and protected prior to commercialization of new innovations.
- Maintain a level of competence in packaging-related matters relevant to completion of the role such as environmental issues, customer and consumer trends and apply these too developments.
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of current and emerging technologies in a specific area of expertise to be defined.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key Corporate and Business Unit functions (QA, SRA, Commercialization, Marketing…) plus Bottler Technical teams to validate and implement potential new developments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with leading edge packaging suppliers.
- Participate in and provide support and guidance on packaging related matters to project teams and key stakeholders within Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) Business Units, Bottlers and the packaging innovation team.
- Keep specification management (Picasso) and project management (CIF) databases updated according to our internal policy;
- Regularly report on status of projects.
Competencies & skills:
- Provide ideas to marketing, technical and R&D leadership team.
- Cultivate good relationship with Marketing, Technical and commercialization functions
- Develop and maintain internal and external network in his/her area of responsibility
- Negotiate with suppliers to ensure optimal support / execution
Conceptual and general knowledge of packaging technologies, materials and processes:
- Understanding of the basic functions of packaging and knowledge of the common primary and secondary packaging technologies and systems used within the packaged ready to drink beverage industry;
- Understanding of the way in which packaging can be used to build brand equity and consumer preference
- Understanding of interactions between packaging, process and product to enable packaging recommendation (quality)
- Understanding of environmental issues associated with the production and disposal of packaging materials;
- Understanding the relationships between package design, materials properties, environmental influences, and package performance;
- Understanding of packaging cost influences and components of value chain;
In addition, specific subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Packaging Materials Science
- Polymer chemistry, metallurgy, paper science or glass chemistry
- Package Manufacturing Technologies
- Plastic conversion technologies (injection moulding, blow moulding, film production, etc.)
- Metal forming technologies
- Glass forming technologies
- Package decoration technologies
- Package filling and handling techniques and their influence on package performance
- Package recycling technologies
- Package, laboratory evaluation techniques
- Package design
- Packaging regulatory requirements.
- Industrial packaging of liquid materials
Education: Bachelor's or Master's Degree (depending of the experience) in packaging technology, industrial product design or related engineering field.
Experience: up to 3 years relevant industry experience
Language requirements: Fluent in English, additional language is a plus.
Travel (% required): 10 - 20% (max 25%)
Years of Experience:2-3 Years Experience
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.