Position Overview:The Privacy Counsel will serve as a legal advisor for The Coca-Cola Company on global privacy matters. He or she will serve as a primary provider of legal advice to the Chief and Deputy Privacy Officers, global Data Protection Officers, and other business and function leaders, as well as their staffs
Function Specific Activities:
- Serve as legal subject matter expert and counselor regarding privacy law both in the United States and globally, providing advice to key clients including Operations, IT, Marketing, Procurement, HR and other functions
- Partner with internal and external clients to develop and review policies, procedures, standards and controls to meet existing or emerging regulatory requirements.
- Identify and resolve compliance issues regarding privacy law.
- Support the further strategic development and positioning of the Privacy Office within the global Coca-Cola system.
- Support review of global and local business processes and supporting systems and provide guidance with respect to documenting these processes, implementing Privacy by Design principles, Privacy Policies and Privacy Notices.
- Partner with IT and Strategic Security to respond to potential data privacy breach incidents and mitigate risks related to same. Closely work with the global Coca-Cola system to optimize existing privacy breach incident procedures.
- Monitor relevant legislation and regulation over various jurisdictions; assess impact to the company and partner with relevant functions and business partners to coordinate responses and/or implementation strategies.
- Develop and provide training and education to the business related to relevant legislation and regulation as well as the company's privacy and data security policies and programs.
- Provide best-in class legal recommendations that are integrated with client strategies and objectives and coordinated across all relevant jurisdictions.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholder groups.
Growth Mindset. Attitude of constant growth, learning and development and ability to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies and regulations. Collaboration & Inclusivity. Ability to work effectively in cross-functional virtual global team and positively influence individuals outside of your span of control. Legal Advice Ability to develop and effectively communicate sound legal advice and/or analysis,including the suggestion of alternative business solutions and best practices while taking into account the clients' role, objectives and risk tolerance. Client Objectives and Risks.Ability to determine and understand client objectives and risk tolerance.Includes knowledge of methods and/or techniques used to determine to identify objectives or risk tolerance and ability to incorporate the information in making legal decisions. Contract Law Knowledge and Drafting.Basic knowledge of contract law Includes knowledge of and ability to understand basic terms and concepts and draft contract provisions. Legal Research and Memoranda Ability to conduct and analyze legal research to determine applicable legal principles. Knowledge of and ability to use legal research resources, including electronic research tools. Ability to draft legal memoranda. Communication. Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization one-on-one and in large groups, including the ability to understand and discuss technical and risk-related matters with the respective experts. Ability to educate non-legal personnel regarding legal requirements and to distill complex legal matters into key points.
Work Experience Requirements:
At least five years practicing as an attorney, including three years experience related to data privacy or security. Additional education/training/experience in IT, digital marketing, or data security preferred but not required. Experience drafting and negotiating privacy, procurement or IT-related agreements preferred but not required. In-house experience helpful but not required.
JD or foreign equivalent.
Years of Experience:
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.