Position Overview:The Senior Engineer II, Mechanical & Refrigeration is responsible for conducting research and establishing the feasibility of breakthrough cold drink equipment technologies for the existing and emerging beverage portfolio. The role will include assessing new technologies, proposing routes to new cooling mechanisms, leveraging external technology from other markets, guiding current and new suppliers, and implementing new concepts in a scalable fashion. Additionally, the candidate will work closely with external vendors to bring concepts through functional prototype stage to validated equipment. This position reports to the Director, Cold Drink Equipment Engineering, and will work with extended team members from Global Engineering organization.
Function Specific Activities:
Function Related Activities/Key Responsibilities
- Lead and project manage design and development work in emerging platforms with internal teams, external vendors, suppliers, universities and design agencies
- Provide relevant and timely technology assessments for Leadership on existing and new thermal technologies
- Lead or participate on cross-functional global priority projects to analyze, de-risk and/ or introduce new technologies
- Apply subject matter expertise in refrigeration design, thermodynamics and transport phenomena across Global Engineering
- Apply scientific and engineering principles to further fundamental understanding of cooling technologies and apply to experimental design to develop corresponding data
- Collaborate with stakeholders to ensure project progress and maximize value to the System.
- Develop and apply technical knowledge and establish credibility with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
- Engineering Analysis: Apply analytical engineering tools including critical path problem solving, fault tree analysis and root cause failure analysis for the purpose of determining design feasibility and identifying sources of variation from designed performance specifications.
- Design, prototype & assess cold drink equipment technologies and concepts to product and process specifications (e.g., functionality and operational feasibility), as well as develop value chain and economic feasibility analysis for candidate solutions.
- Develop strategic cooling technology platforms and make recommendations to Company management (e.g., senior technical management) about emerging trends & opportunities, technology capabilities or scientific breakthroughs to support the Company's strategic direction.
- B.S. Required, advanced degree preferred,
- Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering or like engineering
Related Work Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have at least 6 years of relevant experience in R&D and/or design, or commercialization in areas of equipment or engineering.
- The ideal candidate will be a hand's on engineer, experienced in solving complex problems, designing/building prototypes and conducting experiments.
- Experienced in facilitating & driving consumer needs based concepting and linking with existing or emerging technologies to develop winning business solutions.
- Expert knowledge of physical phenomena, thermodynamics, mass & energy transfer and engineering design.
- Track record of developing and commercializing significant new technologies to solve & drive business objectives.
- Experimental design & analysis: Use of design of experiments, iterative methods, statistical & data analysis.
- Effectively communicates and influences non-technical senior managers.
- IP and Confidentiality: Experience managing confidentiality, handling agreements, and comfort with advanced patent searching techniques. The ideal candidate will have multiple patents/ applications for commercialized technology.
Define, Develop and Execute Technical Strategies for Equipment Research & Development:
- Define, develop, and execute consumer-centric End-to-End technical strategies to drive the categories and brands required to accelerate our transition to a total beverage company.
- Define, develop and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency and quality of R&D work.
Define, Develop and Execute Winning Solutions for Equipment Research & Development:
- Define, develop, and execute sustainable business and winning technical solutions by leveraging insights, technological opportunitieis,
- BU/ Bottler capability, business case creation/ validation, technological opportunities, risk assessment and management, leveraging the power of our System and its people.
- Design, develop, and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency, and quality of R&D work.
Design, Develop and Execute Technical Projects for Equipment Research & Development:
- Design, develop and execute technical projects. Design, develop and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency and quality of R&D work.
Technical Project Management for Equipment Research & Development:
- Establish priorities and lead processes for planning technical work and monitoring progress to achieve desired outcomes.
- Influence buy-in for strategic project plan from stakeholders and key contributors. Lead and maintain collaborative, proactive communication and ensure appropriate documentation with all involved parties to gauge and manage expectations.
Learning Agility for Equipment Research & Development:
- A person's speed to learn. Ability to rapidly study, analyze, and apply new technologies. Ability and willingness to learn from experience and external benchmarking.
Years of Experience:5-7 Years Experience
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.